Skip to main content

13-10-2017 | Colon cancer | News

News in brief

Deficient MMR phenotype linked to favorable FOLFOX colon cancer DFS

medwireNews: In patients with stage III colon cancer treated with adjuvant FOLFOX chemotherapy, DNA mismatch repair (MMR) deficiency is associated with longer disease-free survival (DFS) than MMR proficiency, confirms a pooled analysis published in JAMA Oncology.

Among 2501 FOLFOX-treated participants of the phase III NCCTG N0147 and PETACC8 trials, the 3-year DFS rate was comparable for the 10.1% of patients determined to be MMR deficient on the basis of immunohistochemistry or microsatellite instability testing and the remaining 89.9% who were MMR proficient, at 75.6% and 74.4%, respectively.

But after accounting for a raft of confounders, such as age, sex, and primary tumor site, MMR deficiency was associated with a significant 27% reduced risk for recurrence or death.

Researcher Aziz Zaanan (European Georges Pompidou Hospital, Paris, France) and co-workers point out that the survival benefit conferred by an MMR deficient status is “clinically meaningful,” and they conclude: “Future clinical trials in the adjuvant setting should consider this molecular characteristic as an important stratification factor.”

By Shreeya Nanda

medwireNews is an independent medical news service provided by Springer Healthcare. © 2017 Springer Healthcare part of the Springer Nature group

Related topics